ACTU Organising Works Program
Organising Works - Training new Organisers in the skills of organising and recruitment.
(All information on this page, including forms available to download, was last updated 11.11.2013)
Utilising new and innovative approaches to organising, OW assists unions throughout the movement to develop trained and competent organisers, capable of delivering effective and sustained campaigns. The program incorporates the nationally accredited Certificate IV in Unionism and Industrial Relations (BSB41807) qualification.
OW has one intake per year, commencing in each participating state in February, and concluding early December.
Unions were invited to submit Expressions of Interest in the 2014 Program during October 2013.
Following this process, the 2014 program will run in New South Wales and Victoria dependent on sufficient enrolments.
Unions from other states may wish to have their participants join the NSW or VIC groups.
Cost: $4,150.00 per participant, payable by the union. This fee covers:
- All tuition and administration costs: $3000 ($250 per course) GST free.
- Travel, accommodation and meals at the Residential Course: $1,150 GST inclusive.
Participants: Participants are new organisers employed by a union. In general, we recommend they have less than 4 years experience as an organiser. To complete the enrolment process, all participants must:
1. Be nominated by their union on the OW Union Expression of Interest OR be recruited as an external candidate.
2. Complete an OW Participant Application.
3. Attend a Group Interview Session facilitated by ACTU Organising Centre.
NB: Minimum numbers required for the program to run in each state is 8. Places are limited to 16.
NB: ACTU Organising Centre may decline a participant nomination if the participant is deemed not suitable for the program.
2014 Participant Nomination / Selection Timeline:
THURSDAY 28 NOVEMBER 2013: Group interviews will held in NSW and VIC (Participants and mentors are required to attend).
BY FRIDAY 24 JANUARY 2014: ACTU confirms to Participant/Mentor/Union enrolment in the 2014 program.
DURING WEEK COMMENCING MONDAY 3 FEBRUARY 2014: Program commences.
Contacts: To discuss the OW 2014 Program, contact:
Places are still available in the NSW and VIC groups. Unions may nominate participants using the OW 2014 Union Expression of Interest form.
- Samantha Bond. ACTU Organising Centre Director. Ph: 03 9664 7233
- Oksana Zinenko: NSW Educator. Ph: 02 8268 9731
- Chloe Gaul: VIC Educator. Ph: 03 9664 7361
Download program and qualification details, forms and 2014 course timetables below.