Organising Works 2015 Residential
Organising Works 2016 has commenced. Information for current participants and mentors is available on the course page.
Expressions of interest from Unions for Organising Works 2018 will open in September 2017.
Individuals not currently employed in a union who would like to be considered for the program, are encouraged to submit their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Organising Works gives participants real hands-on training in each of the key components of organising. It trains them in the best of traditional practice, as well as introducing them to innovative, and modern methods of organising, helping them learn to:
- Develop and implement an organising plan;
- Empower and communicate with workers;
- Promote union values, principles and policies;
- Promote equality of opportunity and fair treatment for all workers;
- Participate in the bargaining process;
- Provide advice to union members;
- Undertake negotiations; and
- Organise for safer workplaces.
The program is suitable for organisers with less than 4 years experience. Participants must be employed by a union as an organiser for entry into the program.
- Formal, structured training conducted by ACTU Organising Centre, comprising 10 courses over 14 months.
- On-the-job experience, guided by mentors, allowing participants to gain the skills, strategies and knowledge required to work effectively as a union organiser.
All participating unions agree to the OrgWorks Memorandum of Understanding:
- Provide a supportive environment in which the participant can focus on organising.
- Provide a mentor who has adequate time to be actively involved in on-the-job training and supervision.
- Develop an organising plan for the participant to identify priority organising targets.
Interested participants have the option to complete an assessment process at the completion of training, enabling them to formally achieve the 10157NAT Certificate IV in Unionism and Industrial Relations qualification.
As a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 4141) ACTU Organising Centre offers accredited qualifications, providing quality training & assessment in compliance with the Standards for RTOs 2015. Certificates are issued in accordance with Australian Qualifications Framework requirements.
Read our 2015 Quality Indicator Report, showing satisfaction ratings and feedback from previous participants.