Organiser Pathway Level 1 - Organising Foundations
Suitable for: New Organisers in their first 3 – 12 months.
Purpose: Organising Foundations is designed to provide new organisers with grounding in our values, purpose and power and an understanding of the role of the organiser in achieving power and purpose. We aim to develop their confidence in holding engaging union conversations and the capacity to work with union workplace leaders and activists.
Learning outcomes: At the completion of Organising Foundations participants will be able to:
- Describe the purpose and values of unionism;
- Critically assess interests and power at workplace, industry, national and international levels;
- Describe the processes and steps in organising a workplace;
- Conduct research (mapping) and analysis (SWOT and Issues);
- Discuss the purpose of planning and develop an organising plan;
- Describe the industrial environment and the impact this has on organising strategies;
- Describe and demonstrate the steps in a Structured Organising Conversation;
- Demonstrate effectively handling objections;
- Describe the role of an organiser in developing leadership and building organisation;
- Apply problem solving to determine options and assess the collective potential of issues;
- Identify the purpose of meetings and strategies to ensure they are effective;
- Develop reflective practice and strategies to manage time in the role of organiser.
Structure: This course is structured as 4 + 3 days with a two-staged organising project. There are components of Online learning to reinforce the elements taught face to face.
Coaching and mentoring: The transfer of skills and knowledge from this course requires that participants are supported in completing their projects and provided with opportunities to work on the mapping and to work with activists in a designated workplace. The participants will need to hold regular organising conversations and a coach should work with them on reviewing conversations they have held to address any concerns and to build confidence.