Organiser Pathway Level 2 - Building Union.
Purpose: Building Union aims to increase the capacity of organisers to work with workplace leaders to engage workers to act collectively to resolve issues, reflective of our values and purpose and to build union organisation. We deepen understanding of the industrial system to increase organisers' capacity to effectively problem solve, negotiate and build the confidence of workers to join the union to improve their working lives.
Learning outcomes: At the end of Building Union participants will be able to:
- Describe the importance of vision, values and issues in organising;
- Review the role of an organiser in building union;
- Demonstrate deeper listening and questioning skills for effective problem solving;
- Identify the steps to resolve disputes with reference to the industrial system;
- Demonstrate effective negotiation processes in single issue and multiple demand contexts that reflect the power of union organisation;
- Conduct power analysis to determine the level at which issues can be addressed and the power required to do so;
- Analyse the wages system historically to determine the impact that different systems have on inequality;
- Demonstrate recruiting people in the context of issues resolution and for the long term;
- Develop the capacity of workplace leaders to participate in dispute resolution and collective negotiations;
- List the steps required to engage workers in collective action to resolve issues at a range of levels;
- Develop an effective union communication network, meeting and planning processes;
- Present an effective session on workers’ rights to inspire and engage;
Structure: This course is structured as 3 + 3 days with a two-staged organising project. There are components of Online learning to reinforce the elements taught face to face.
Coaching and mentoring: The transfer of skills and knowledge from this course requires that participants are supported in completing their projects and provided with opportunities to participate in dispute resolution with the support of a more experienced organiser and to participate in bargaining processes with explicit coaching during this process. These organisers should be encouraged and supported in their work with activists/leaders during these processes. They should be supported in recruiting people in the context of collective issue resolution.
Pre-requisite: Organising Foundations or equivalent