The Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU) is the peak union body representing nearly 1.8 million workers and their families.
We are looking for a full-time software developer (12-month contract) to work on two exciting projects within the ACTU’s UTECH program. This role is a great opportunity to use your technical skills for the benefit of Australian workers and their unions.
About the projects:
The first project will make workplaces safer - by helping organisers and workplace health and safety representatives to access educational resources and information and record hazards in their workplaces. The second project will help workers from non-English speaking backgrounds to better understand their rights at work and engage with their unions - through a multilingual workplace rights tool.
The position is based in the ACTU’s growing Technology team, working in a highly collaborative environment alongside skilled subject matter experts, project managers, software developers, and user experience and design specialists in our Melbourne office. This full stack role will see you build and maintain databases, progressive web applications and APIs that support delivery of the UTECH program.
- Experience in building and delivering quality software to production.
- Desire and ability to learn new skills and technology.
- Passion for software engineering and writing quality code (experience with Agile practices, continuous delivery, and TDD).
- Commitment to the values of the union movement.
- A passion for open source and finding the best tools for the job.
- Ability to work as part of a team, as well as manage your work and technical direction.
- Ideally, experience with Python, PostgreSQL, progressive web apps, and/or frontend web technologies.
- Experience developing tools for audiences from a non-English speaking background.
The ACTU will offer the successful candidate a competitive salary based on skills and experience, along with 15% superannuation and generous leave arrangements.
Please provide a covering letter addressing the selection criteria, and a CV, to Ben Moxham, Deputy Chief of Staff, ACTU at email@example.com by 5pm, Friday, 16 August 2019. Applications without a covering letter will not be considered.
For a confidential discussion about the role, contact Ben at 0400 285 045.