The Australian Council of Trades Unions is the peak body of unions, representing nearly 1.8 million workers and their families.
We are looking for a User Experience Designer (12-month contract) to help build two digital products under the ACTU Organising Centre’s UTECH program.
The first product will help union organisers and workplace health and safety representatives make their workplaces safer. The second one will help workers from non-English speaking backgrounds to better understand their rights at work and get involved in their trade unions.
This role is a great opportunity to use your skills and experience to support workers and their unions.
The role is based within the ACTU’s expanding technology team where you will work with developers, project managers and designers. You will also collaborate across the ACTU and the broader union movement, including with workers and their unions, content developers, and subject matter experts.
· Significant experience helping to make and improve digital products that people want to use.
· Identify user-needs using a range of qualitative and quantitative research methods.
· Developing clear recommendations from user research and incorporating it all stages of software development, including by using visual design tools such as Sketch, InVision or Adobe CC.
· Work to conceive, design and prototype, compelling user experiences and user interfaces.
· An understanding of how to make software accessible and how to meet Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
· Strong understanding of agile software development practices and experience working in software development teams.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
· Commitment to the values of the Australian Trade union movement, and to economic and social justice generally.
· A relevant bachelors’ degree and 3+ years of relevant UX research experience.
· Visual design, digital marketing or SEO experience
· Front end coding experience
· Experience working for a trade union or non-government organisation.
The ACTU will offer the successful candidate a competitive salary based on skills and experience, along with 15% superannuation and generous leave arrangements.
To apply please provide a covering letter addressing the selection criteria and a CV to Ben Moxham, Deputy Chief of Staff, ACTU at email@example.com, by 5pm, Monday, 22 July 2019.
Submitting a portfolio of relevant work would be helpful. We will ask for examples of your work during the interview stages.
For a confidential discussion about the role, contact Ben at 0400 285 045.Apply online