Federal Industrial Officer
Applications are invited for the position of Federal Industrial Officer with the Australian Education Union at its Federal Office in Melbourne.
The position is for a four year term and an attractive salary and superannuation package applies. Employment conditions, including salary and superannuation are provided for in a conditions agreement. Enquiries may be made to the AEU Federal Office by calling (03) 9693 1800, or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications, addressing the duties and position description listed below should be marked confidential and addressed to the Federal Secretary, and submitted to email@example.com by COB 22 February 2019.
Role and Position Description
The role of the Industrial Officer is to advance the objectives and policies of the AEU and in particular, in relation to the Union’s industrial objectives and program.
The Industrial Officer will work as part of a team and be located in the AEU Federal Office in Melbourne. The position will involve some travel within Australia.
The Industrial Officer is directly responsible to the Federal Secretary in carrying out the duties listed below.
The AEU is an equal opportunity employer.
Duties will include:
- Provide general legal and specific industrial support and advice to the Federal Office and Branches of the AEU in relation to all sectors including pre-schools, schools, VET, post-compulsory and tertiary education.
- Instruct legal counsel in matters involving the AEU at the direction of the Federal Secretary.
- Represent the AEU in proceedings at the direction of the Federal Secretary.
- Contribute to strategic industrial policy development, including career structures in the education industry, and provide information on developments and strategies.
- Provide advice and assistance on union rules and registration matters involving the AEU and other organisations.
- Advise the AEU Federal Executive and Conference on industrial and general legislative developments which may affect the AEU and the members of the AEU.
- Provide industrial advice to officers to contribute to the development of campaign-related activities.
- Undertake duties as required by the AEU Federal Secretary.
Knowledge, qualifications and experience specific to position:
- A tertiary qualification in law, industrial relations, education, or a related field.
- Skills and experience in bargaining, negotiation, advocacy and case preparation, particularly in industrial tribunals or industrial proceedings in courts.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Fair Work Act 2009 and related legislation, the operations of the Fair Work Commission, the Registered Organisations Commission and the industrial jurisdiction of the Federal Court and other federal industrial bodies
- Knowledge and experience of the education industry and AEU members' employment, including gender and employment issues and the relationship between industrial and professional concerns.
Generic knowledge, qualifications and experience:
- High level written and verbal skills, and the ability to work collaboratively in a team, or independently as appropriate.
- A demonstrated capacity to engage in high level research including the ability to identify and analyse issues, propose strategic solutions and prepare reports and submissions.
- High level organisational skills including the ability to meet deadlines, manage competing demands and workload effectively, and complete tasks unsupervised and on time.
- Knowledge of and commitment to public education and unionism.
- Completion of a tertiary qualification in a relevant area.