The Australian Education Union represents members working in Public Education in Victoria.
The union has a vacancy for a Journalist to work in our Melbourne Office. The journalist works as part of a team responsible for implementing membership and campaign-related communications to recruit, educate, activate and mobilise members.
The successful candidate will be a positive, collaborative team player with high-level written and verbal communication skills and an excellent eye for detail. They will have a commitment to public education and the ability to develop contacts, build strong relationships and apply union values and priorities to all aspects of communications.
Remuneration: The annual salary for this position is $93,738 plus superannuation, depending on skills and experience.
Enquiries: A Position Description is available on our website https://www.aeuvic.asn.au/about-us/work-us. Questions about this vacancy can be directed to Seth Unmack on (03) 9417 2822.
Applications: Send to Jenny Evans, HR and Organisational Development Manager, AEU Victorian Branch, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Monday 26 February 2018.
Previous applicants need not reapply.
Applications will not be considered unless they address the following selection criteria
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Relevant tertiary qualifications, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum five years’ experience in print and online writing and editing, including ability to write to word limits
- Demonstrated ability to repurpose content (text and images) creatively across multiple platforms, to maximise engagement and activism
- Basic photography and video production skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to source and research stories, with original angles that align with the union’s values, priorities and campaigns
- High-level attention to detail, including factual accuracy and correct use of grammar
- Demonstrated commitment to public education, activism and social justice
- Awareness of the political and policy issues impacting on public education, as well as AEU’s priorities and campaigns
- Ability to show initiative and to work both independently and cooperatively within a small team environment and across an organisation
- Excellent time-management skills, including the ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
- Experience learning and using CMS.
- Ability to respond to feedback positively and follow a specified style guide.
- Experience with page layout and design
- Background in trade unionism, public education or activism