The Australasian Meat Industry Employees Union is the trade union representing members working in abattoirs, red and white meat processing, smallgoods, supermarket and general butchery around Australia. We are looking for an energetic, enthusiastic and self-motivated person to join our team as our National Industrial Officer.
Key responsibilities of this role are:
• Provide legal advice to the Federal Secretary and Branch Secretaries.
• Represent the Union in various Industrial forums including but not limited to:
1. The Fair Work Commission
2. The Federal Circuit Court
3. The Industrial Relations Court of SA
4. The Industrial Court of New South Wales
Matters which are typically run by our National Industrial Officer include:
1. Award maintenance and variations
2. Dispute hearings
3. Unfair Dismissals
4. Underpayment hearings
5. Various industrial applications
• Liaise with and attend various industry meetings with the Federal Secretary
• Monitor developments in the various industrial tribunals that may impact on the meat industry or on matters ongoing by the AMIEU.
• Provide practical support to the various branches of the AMIEU.
• Compliance and governance related activities.
The person we need will be resilient with a positive and enthusiastic outlook, a demonstrated commitment to union or community activism, excellent all-round communication skills, and the ability to build and maintain constructive relationships. The role is busy and challenging so great organisational, time management and problem solving abilities are all a must.
The successful applicant must be able to manage their own time, subject to direction from the Federal Secretary and whilst the Federal Office itself offers no team support other than from the Federal Secretary, the Union has other Industrial Officers within its branches that can assist when necessary and are easily accessible for conferences for tactical discussion.
The role will require interstate travel and appearing in the Fair Work Commission (or other tribunal) in various states as matters arise.
Computer skills in word processing are crucial as the National Industrial Officer is responsible for the file management of all matters, including the maintenance of the existing filing system on our data base.
On some matters it will be necessary to liaise directly with union members who may be distressed from an industrial situation affecting them. Patience and empathy are very useful skills for these situations.
Key Selection Criteria
• Legal qualifications.
• Training and experience within the Courts and Commission.
• Capacity to promote the values, principles and policies of the Union.
• The ability to work independently or as part of a team as directed by the Federal Secretary.
• Demonstrated commitment to the vision, values and objectives of the union and social justice principles.
• Computer skills.
• Research skills.
Applicants may apply from anywhere in Australia as we have offices in each state that can accommodate the successful applicant.
Hours: Full Time.
9 am to 5 pm (there is some flexibility in the start and finish time)
Rostered day off once every 4 weeks.
Wages: Negotiable depending upon skills and experience. 95K pa plus superannuation.
Questions about this vacancy can be directed to The Federal Secretary, on (08) 8274 4100 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Written Applications to:
Applicants must address the criteria and supply a resume.
The Federal Secretary
Australasian Meat Industry Employees Union
227 Henley Beach Road
Torrensville, SA 5031
Applications must be received by close of business 30th November 2020.