Job Title: Industrial Organiser – Membership Development Team
Classification: Grade 3 – Grade 5
Salary Range: $68,887 to $108,725/ (effective 1st July 2019) Salary is determined on level of skills and experience.
Accountability: The position is accountable to the Branch Secretary through the relevant Team Leader
CPSU SPSF group covers workers in the Victorian public service and public sector. Our members come from a range of diverse and exciting workplaces including, Victorian State Government Departments, Prisons, Arts agencies, Parks & Gardens, Zoos and many more. CPSU organisers are encouraged to utilise a range of different tools to assist our delegates and members with workplace matters. Experienced organisers will be able to use their creative thinking and problem-solving skills to empower their members within their portfolio coverage.
- Map agencies, sites or regions identifying membership density, level of organisation, contacts/activists/delegates, and employee issues. Identify organising opportunities, growth potential and key contacts.
- As part of a team develop campaign plans and organising plans including timeframes, objectives and targets for membership growth.
- Develop individual organising plans with the Lead Organiser and report against the objectives in these plans as required.
- Contribute to campaigns or team or individual organising with activities such as planning, workplace visits programs, bulletin writing, phone campaigning, surveys, leafleting, running meetings, presenting learning modules, one-on one education, maintaining files and organising records.
- Identify members who have the capacity to be union activists and delegates. Encourage and support them to take on union tasks and become fully effective trained union delegates.
- Establish and maintain Delegate Committee structures such as Branch Sections and networks relating to members agency, issue, classification or interest.
- Build relationships with CPSU delegates and key activists and contact them regularly. Support delegates and activists in representing individual members regarding their grievances at work.
- Provide advice on employment conditions, employment rights and CPSU services to Delegates and to members when visiting workplaces. Refer individual members to the Entitlement and Compliance Team where a delegate cannot assist with their issue.
- Negotiation with management or enterprise bargaining as part of priority organising campaigns. Developing delegates to negotiate and bargain as part of the bargaining team where possible.
- Recruit new members to CPSU using a range of strategies such as walkthroughs, bulletins, leafleting and inductions. Apply communication skills such as active listening and respecting different employee opinions. Develop organising approaches so that members and delegates are recruiting and building the union themselves.
- Identify your own development and training needs and communicate any work issues or difficulties to the Lead Organiser.
- Work and communicate positively with all elements of the CPSU SPSF operation. Show respect and consideration for all staff and raise any difficulties directly with the staff member concerned first.
- Good working knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act, Public Administration Act and the Fair Work Act is desirable.
- Keep our membership database OMS up to date with current delegates, contacts and Branch Sections.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written and exceptional trouble shooting and problem solving abilities.
- Proven ability to represent the union at various Tribunals such as FWC on a case by case basis.
- Efficient use of office computer systems.
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION
- The job is located at 128 Exhibition Street, Melbourne Vic 3000
- This description is indicative of the range of job requirements. The job comprises of other duties as directed.
- A current Victorian Drivers Licence is essential.
- Travel to Regional Victoria will be required.
Application closing date is Friday 23rd of August 2019 by COB.
Application and Resume to be submitted to Sarah Kopij, Administration Officer via email to: email@example.com
Or Post to: CPSU / SPSF Group Vic Branch, PO Box 24233, Melbourne VIC 3001.