Position: Field Organiser
Organisation: Finance Sector Union
The Finance Sector Union is the union for one of the biggest and fastest growing industries in Australia. Our Union is the voice of workers at the pointy end of capitalism. We organise across Australia’s biggest banks as well as insurance, credit union and superannuation employers. Over the past year the FSU has played a key role in instigating industry change through various major forums including the Royal Commission into our industry. We continue to champion for real improvements for finance industry workers as well as the broader community.
This year we plan to step up our important campaign work. Our industry is rapidly changing and risks seeing workers left behind with the impacts of technological disruption being felt across the board. We are seeking a capable and driven Organiser to play a key role in helping deliver an industry plan that focuses on people before profits.
Reporting to the Local Executive Secretary, the Organiser will be responsible for building worker power in a team environment through recruiting workers to the Union and developing sustainable activist structures. The successful applicant will be required to adapt their skills to unique organising challenges while working to innovative campaign plans connected to relevant enterprises, local workplaces and the broader industry.
- An extreme passion for social justice and fighting the machine
- An understanding that your work will always be focused and centred around building power for workers
- Independent, resilient, and takes initiative go-getter who is always a team player
- Energy and enthusiasm that you can lead with and follow
- Someone with leadership qualities who can instil leadership in others and hand over the reigns
- Eagerness to work with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice
- Experience working or organising in progressive organisations or social justice causes
- Ability to inspire people to take action through conversations
- Ability to identify and develop leaders
- Strong planning, time-management and strategic-thinking skills
- Ability and willingness to do whatever it takes to fight and win (some long hours, evening work and weekend work may be required)
- Driver’s licence preferred
We are an equal opportunity employer. Women, Indigenous and LGBTIQ folks are strongly encouraged to apply.
The FSU is committed to providing ongoing support and development to the successful applicant.
Salary range for the Organiser position can be provided on request. FSU offers excellent working conditions including employer superannuation contributions of 15%.
For further information, contact Sheena Tumalad on (02) 9320 0052 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Finance Sector Union
PO Box A2442,
Sydney South NSW 1235
COB 28 January 2019Apply online