- Full-time temporary contract position until end of July 2018
- Proud not-for-profit organisation
- Based in our West End office with competitive salary & benefits
About the QNMU
The Queensland Nurses and Midwives' Union (QNMU) is the industrial and professional organisation for nurses and midwives working in public and private health and aged care in Queensland. The QNMU seeks to promote and defend the industrial, professional, social, political and democratic interests of over 57,000 members. We have over 150 employees including organisers, professionals and administrative personnel, and manage a multi-million dollar operating budget.
About the Role
A Member Organiser is required on a full-time temporary basis until the end of July, 2018 to work within our Organising and Professional Services team with a focus on the public sector. As the Member Organiser you will be primarily focused on the facilitation of QNMU member workplace activities in collaboration with the respective Organiser team/s. The core responsibilities of new member recruitment, retention and workplace delegate support are inherent in this role. In this hands-on, proactive role your key accountabilities will see you:
- Assisting in planning, implementing and reporting recruitment and growth campaigns and strategies;
- Collaboratively assisting with the planning, preparing, implementing and reporting on workplace Organising, Blitz, branch development and growth campaigns for both industrial and professional;
- Assisting and actively participating in membership recruitment and workplace mapping;
- Assisting in the collation of and providing information and assistance to members on Awards, Industrial Agreements, professional issues and other related workplace matters;
- Assisting in the investigation or enquiry into claimed breaches of Awards or Industrial Agreements in collaboration with the relevant Organiser /Industrial Officer;
- Assisting in the development of self and delegates through workplace representations, direct delegate support and establishment of Branches;
- Supporting the direct representation and advocacy on individual members behalf in collaboration with Organiser/s and Servicing Organiser/s as required; and
- In consultation with QNMU Officials and as required, attend meetings with an employer and/or representative managers.
An astute communicator who is able to build rapport with members quickly, you will have the capability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a small team. To be successful in this role you will possess:
- Registration with APHRA;
- Demonstrated commitment to QNMU’s values and principles and trade unionism;
- Experience within a range of nursing and/or midwifery roles;
- Demonstrated knowledge of contemporary nursing or midwifery practice;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the health industry generally;
- Demonstrated history of activism within the QNMU or other nursing / midwifery union;
- Demonstrated knowledge of industrial relations gained specifically at relevant QNMU training
- Sound negotiation and public speaking skills;
- Ability to write simple reports, submissions and other business correspondence;
- Demonstrated ability to critically analyse, evaluate, problem solve and articulate a logical and clear position on an issue;
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team member and take a collaborative approach to work;
- Demonstrated ability to research, critically analyse, evaluate and reach sound conclusions and provide viable options;
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed, establish priorities, use initiative and be proactive in raising and dealing with issues; and
- An ability to travel away from home for up to five nights at a time and a current driver’s license is required.
What we Offer
You will be joining a values driven union whichadvocates for nurses and midwives and for those in their care, offers challenging opportunities and a supportive team environment in addition to a variety of benefits, including:-
- Attractive salary package including salary sacrifice options;
- Health and Wellness initiatives including vaccinations;
- Access to a free, confidential counselling service through our EAP provider; and
- Generous leave entitlements.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter addressed to Rebecca Stoodley, Human Resources Advisor to email@example.com. Applications should clearly address how you meet the “About You” section outlined in the above advertisement.
For any questions in relation to this position, please contact Rebecca Stoodley, Human Resources Advisor on 07 3099 3251.
For further information about the QNMU, head to our website www.qnmu.org.au
“The QNMU is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, people of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Island descent, people with a disability and people from non-english speaking backgrounds to be part of an organisation that promotes a diverse and safe workplace environment”. Selection for all vacancies is made on the basis of merit”.
Applications close 4pm Monday 22nd January, 2018Apply online