Organiser - Rockhampton
- Permanent full-time
- Proud not-for-profit organisation
- Based in Rockhampton with competitive salary, benefits and motor vehicle
About the QNMU
The Queensland Nurses and Midwives' Union (QNMU) is the industrial and professional organisation for nurses and midwives working in public and private health and aged care in Queensland. The QNMU seeks to promote and defend the industrial, professional, social, political and democratic interests of over 62,000 members. We have over 170 employees including organisers, professionals and administrative personnel, and manage a multi-million-dollar operating budget.
About the Opportunity
We are currently seeking an experienced and passionate Organiser to join our Regional South team on a permanent full-time basis located in our Rockhampton office. Extensive travel will be required around Rockhampton and rural areas.
In this role, you will report to the Regional Organiser Team Leader – South and be primarily responsible for the facilitation of QNMU member workplace activity in the pursuit of industrial and professional advancement for nurses and midwives using the principles of transformational activism.
Inextricably linked to this is the core role of new member recruitment, retention and workplace delegate support and you will pursue these activities through direct workplace, member and delegate contact as well as representing members individually (as required) and collectively in workplace disputes.
An astute communicator, with the ability to build rapport with members quickly, you will have the capability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a small team. To be successful in this role you will possess: -
- Current registration with AHPRA;
- Current membership with the QNMU as well as demonstrated history of activism within the QNMU or other nursing / midwifery union;
- Demonstrated commitment to QNMU’s values, purpose and trade unionism in general;
- Significant experience within a range of nursing and / or midwifery roles;
- Demonstrated knowledge of contemporary nursing practice and the health industry generally;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the industrial relations system generally;
- Strong public speaking skills;
- Sound negotiation skills;
- Ability to write reports, submissions and other business correspondence;
- Demonstrated ability to critically analyse, evaluate, problem solve and articulate a logical and clear position on an issue;
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team member and take a collaborative approach to work;
- Demonstrated ability to research, critically analyse, evaluate and reach sound conclusions and provide viable options;
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed, establish priorities, use initiative and be proactive in raising and dealing with issues; and
- An ability to travel away from home for up to five nights at a time and a current driver’s license is required.
What we Offer
You will be joining a values’ driven union which advocates for nurses and midwives and for those in their care. The role offers challenging opportunities and a supportive team environment in addition to a variety of benefits, including:-
- Attractive salary package including salary sacrifice options;
- Work/life balance with flexible working arrangements including Accrued Days Off;
- Health and Wellness initiatives including vaccinations;
- Professional development;
- Access to a free, confidential counselling service through our EAP provider; and
- Generous leave entitlements.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter addressed to Rebecca Stoodley, Employee Relations Advisor to email@example.com. Applications should clearly address how you demonstrate the skills and experience to meet the requirements outlined in the “About You” section above.
Applicants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents.
If you would like to discuss this opportunity with a QNMU team member, please contact Rebecca Stoodley, Employee Relations Advisor on 07 3099 3251.
For further information about the QNMU, head to our website www.qnmu.org.au
“The QNMU is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, people of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Island descent, people with a disability and people from non-English speaking backgrounds to be part of an organisation that promotes a diverse and safe workplace environment”. Selection for all vacancies is made based on merit”.
Closing date: 4pm, Thursday 9th July 2020