- Permanent full-time position
- Proud not-for-profit organisation
- Based in Brisbane with competitive salary & benefits
About the QNMU
The Queensland Nurses and Midwives' Union (QNMU) is the industrial and professional organisation for nurses and midwives working in public and private health and aged care in Queensland. The QNMU seeks to promote and defend the industrial, professional, social, political and democratic interests of over 57,000 members. We have over 150 employees including organisers, professionals and administrative personnel, and manage a multi-million dollar operating budget.
About the Role
We are currently recruiting for an experienced and passionate Professional Officer on a permanent full-time basis in our Brisbane office. Reporting to the Team Leader, the primary purpose of this position is the advancement and development of the professions of nursing and midwifery through active representation of the QNMU at committees, working parties, educational forums or other relevant groups and through negotiation of issues with government departments and with employers, at senior levels, to advance the professional interests of members.
More specifically, the position is responsible for advising on and facilitating development of holistic workforce nursing and midwifery activities such as budget and funding mechanisms, workforce planning, workload management, skill mix and career & classification structures.
This position is a high level strategic position which actively contributes to the strategic development process and the professional activism of nurses and midwives in Queensland.
Working with the relevant internal stakeholders and as part of a cohesive team, you will have a professional approach, with the confidence to provide considered and frank advice to the QNMU Council, Secretary and Assistant Secretary and to engage high-level executives in debate about issues of relevance to members.
To be successful in this role you will possess:
- Current registration on the APHRA Register of Practitioners as RN Division One;
- Current membership with the QNMU;
- Demonstrated commitment to QNMU’s values, purpose and trade unionism in general;
- Demonstrated commitment to professional activism;
- Experience in a senior management and/or advisory role is mandatory;
- Advanced qualifications in nursing and/or midwifery are highly desirable;
- Dual registration as a registered nurse and registered midwife will be highly regarded.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate at senior levels of government departments or with major employer groups;
- Demonstrated knowledge of health industry funding mechanisms and contemporary workforce management issues;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the NMBA professional practice framework and regulation relevant to nursing and midwifery;
- Demonstrated knowledge of contemporary theory and practice relevant to the profession/s;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and publicly articulate a strategic approach to issues affecting nursing and midwifery practice;
- Demonstrated ability to critically analyse, evaluate and produce written reports on contemporary nursing and midwifery issues especially those involving the work environment such as workforce management;
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team member and take a collaborative approach to work;
- Demonstrated ability to research, critically analyse, evaluate and reach sound conclusions and provide viable options;
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed, establish priorities, meet deadlines, use initiative and be proactive and strategic in raising and dealing with issues;
- An ability to travel away from home for up to five nights at a time; and
- A current driver’s licence is required.
What we Offer
You will be joining a values driven union which advocates for nurses and midwives and for those in their care, offers challenging opportunities and a supportive team environment in addition to a variety of benefits including:
- Attractive salary package including salary sacrifice options;
- Work/life balance with flexible working arrangements including accrued days off;
- Health and Wellness initiatives including vaccinations;
- Access to a free, confidential counselling service through our EAP provider;
- A commitment to professional development; and
- Generous leave entitlements.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter addressed to Rebecca Stoodley, Human Resources Advisor to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should clearly address how you meet the “About You” section outlined in the above advertisement.
For any questions in relation to this position, please contact Rebecca Stoodley, Human Resources Advisor on 07 3099 3251.
For further information about the QNMU, head to our website www.qnmu.org.au
“The QNMU is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, people of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Island descent, people with a disability and people from non-english speaking backgrounds to be part of an organisation that promotes a diverse and safe workplace environment”. Selection for all vacancies is made on the basis of merit”.
Applications close at COB Friday 23rd February 2018.Apply online