Campaign Project Officer
(This position will commence 12 July 2021 and will conclude on 12 July 2024.)
The State School Teachers’ Union of W.A. (Inc.) (SSTUWA) represents State School Teachers and TAFE Lecturers across W.A. It is one of the largest trade unions in Western Australia with over 17,500 members, to whom it provides a wide range of both industrial and professional services and representation.
The SSTUWA is the public education union of WA. Organisational fit is crucial. The ability to exercise high levels of tact and discretion in a professionally and personally challenging environment, while simultaneously meeting demanding schedules and workloads, is essential.
The SSTUWA’s Strategic Plan 2020-2023 includes the following focus areas:
- Protect Education for the common good.
- Keep schools safe sanctuaries of learning.
- Defend and extend your collective bargaining rights.
- Don’t let politicians interfere in the classroom.
- Be proud of your profession.
- Stand up for your rights.
The SSTUWA Campaign Officer is focused on State and Federal industrial and political campaign management under the direction of the president and executive.
- Research and analyse public education trends in Western Australia and nationally.
- Prepare reports and analysis.
- Assist with the development of policy positions.
- Coordinate campaign plans and actions including meetings, rallies, surveys and petitions.
- Assist with the use of websites and social media using member data to target online. communications using NationBuilder or similar.
- Assist with the development of lobbying and relationship building with third party organisations including government.
- Organise industrial staff and union activists for campaign action.
(a) Salary Level 3.1 ($118,626 per annum) with annual salary progression through Level 3 of the General Agreement should an extension of contract occur.
(b) A vehicle allowance of $10,000 per annum.
(c) Conditions as per the Officers of the State School Teachers’ Union of W.A.(Incorporated) Conditions of Employment Agreement 2018
(d) NOTE: A C-class driver’s licence is required.
The successful applicant will demonstrate:
1) Commitment to union principles and public education.
2) Proven ability to develop and execute online and offline campaign strategy and tactics in order to achieve campaign goals.
3) Experience in campaigning including: the creation and distribution of campaign materials, event management and social media engagement.
4) Experience with tools such as CRM, CMS, NationBuilder, Google Analytics, and major social media platforms including E-newsletters.
5) Knowledge of political and educational environment for SSTUWA/AEUWA context.
6) Capacity in research and analysis of core issues in public education. e.g.funding.
7) High level time-management, organisational skills and capacity to work as part of a team.
8) Tertiary qualifications in communications, education, labour studies or related fields.
9) A knowledge of the major issues currently facing public education at State and Federal levels.
In making application for the position of Campaign Officer please:
- Address the selection criteria.
- Keep the application to a maximum of three (3)pages.
- Submit a CV/Resume
- List referee’s, context and contact details (minimum of3)
- Closing date for applications is 29 May2021.
Applications should be addressed to:
Chairperson Appointments Committee, c/o firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information regarding this position, please contact Mary Franklyn, General Secretary, SSTUWA at email@example.com