Exciting opportunity to work at the Australian Workers' Union (AWU) Victorian Branch!
The AWU is the nation's oldest trade union representing over 70,000 working Australians. We are also Australia's most diverse union representing workers in a range of industries including manufacturing, steel, aluminium, glass, oil & gas, aviation, agriculture, construction, state public services, local government, health, food, resources, aquaculture, and events.
As we have such a diverse membership, we are looking to employ a creative full-time, permanent Communications Officer who is able to take into account gender, race, language and age differences amongst our members and ensure that our approach is inclusive.
About the role
Based in our Melbourne office, you will:
- Develop, manage, and implement communication strategies and plans ensuring the communication needs and outcomes for the AWU Victorian Branch
- Work with Delegates, activists, and other AWU officials & organisers to develop and implement material for industry and union-wide campaigns
- Assist with the production of all key AWU Victorian Branch publications
- Build our following on social media channels
- Create content for our website and weekly newsletter
- Design workplace posters, notices, flyers, stickers and merchandise
- Capture still and video content as and when required
- Create and update a comprehensive media distribution list
- Respond to media inquiries and develop media releases and talking points
- Assist with the daily monitoring and analysis of news media and other media including new media
- Research, write and co-ordinate submission papers, grants and reports
Key Selection Criteria
As the successful candidate, you will ideally have the following:
- Commitment to union values and social justice
- Experience working in a political or trade union environment (desirable)
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite applications
- Experience in producing printed materials and understanding of print-specific requirements
- Experience using EDM tools and producing high quality communication materials
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office programs
- Strong attention to detail, particularly around editing and proofing
- Proven ability to prioritise tasks and meet deadlines
Immediate start is desirable.
The Australian Workers’ Union is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
A competitive remuneration package will be offered depending on experience plus other generous conditions.
How to apply for this job
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter addressing the key selection criteria and your CV to Michael Stevenson at firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject heading ‘Communications Officer’.
For more information, please contact Michael Stevenson on 03 8327 0888, or alternatively email@example.com
Applications close: COB on Monday, 24 June 2019.