Applications are currently being sought for a suitably qualified person for the position of Senior Industrial Officer - Industrial Advocacy experience essential.
Applications in writing, addressing the full selection criteria should be addressed to:
Neil Henderson, Secretary, The Services Union and emailed to email@example.com
Applications close 30 October 2022
Employer: The Services Union
Work Type/s: Permanent
Classification: Senior Industrial Officer
Salary: $119,264 to $132,737 per annum + 15% super + vehicle with fully maintained private use.
Formal qualifications: Tertiary qualifications are highly desirable
About The Services Union We are a diverse and progressive union improving the lives of workers in Local Government, Social & Community Services (SACS), Energy, Rail, Ports and Clerical & Administration.
People join The Services Union to be part of a powerful member-led union which is actively campaigning for change in our industries and communities. The Services Union is a local Queensland Branch of the Australian Services Union.
Overview of Position:
To operate as a member of the Servicing team to ensure that members are given and acquire the appropriate advice, knowledge, skills, cohesion, commitment and resolve. To advance and protect their economic, social, political and industrial interest by providing advice, high profile representation, industry co-ordination, training and strategies to members and organisers.
This position is responsible to the Secretary and reports directly to the Industrial Coordinator.
This position will provide guidance, coordination and technical direction to Industrial Officers and Organisers within assignment area. Further, within the scope of the Union rules and policies and delegation of authority, the position has authority to make major decisions within the assignment area.
As directed by the Secretary and Industrial Coordinator -
• Represent the Union in high profile hearings, conferences and meetings as required.
• Regularly communicate with members and organisers on industry and workplace development matters which affect their workplace or operations and provide support services and advice to the organising team.
• Prepare and represent The Services Union’s interests in discussions and negotiations with employers and other interest groups to ensure consistent and considered outcomes.
• In cooperation with the organising team, answer enquiries and resolve workplace disputes and membership grievances.
• Prepare and present submissions on behalf of the Union to ensure compliance with the relevant Tribunal requirements.
• May be required to travel intra state or interstate.
• High level of skill in the provision of advice and industry cooperation on Industrial Relations issues (including workplace change and enterprise bargaining) to members and organisers.
• High level of skill in the preparation and presentation of cases before Tribunals.
• Extensive knowledge of the Industrial Relations processes, current issues, practices and policies for the assigned area and the Industrial Relations system.
• High level of skill in negotiation within the Industrial Relations environment.
• Substantial knowledge of relevant employment legislation, relevant awards, enterprise agreements and local agreements for the assigned area.
• High level of skill in:
• Exercising initiative and independent judgment;
• Analysing and resolving problems;
• The operation of computer systems;
• Ability to operate as a member of a team; and
• Commitment to the principles of unionism.