Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) Trainer
About Unions Tasmania
Unions Tasmania is the peak body for trade unions in Tasmania. It is also the Tasmanian branch of the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU). With 26 affiliated unions across the state, Unions Tasmania represents approximately 50,000 union members.
The Tasmanian union movement works every day to build a better society for everyone. We campaign in workplaces, in the community and in the public and political arena to affect change that raises the living standards of workers and their families.
We also have a strong focus on workplace health and safety. We provide training to elected health and safety representatives (HSRs) across industry, in the private and public sector. We are approved by WorkSafe Tasmania and Comcare to deliver training to HSRs but we also tailor courses to suit the needs of employers by training members of health and safety committees and managers.
Unions Tasmania is looking to engage a WHS Trainer for the delivery of introductory and refresher training courses for HSRs exercising powers and functions under the Tasmanian Work Health and Safety Act 2012 as well as under the Federal Work Health and Safety Act 2011. Courses are between 1 and 5 days in duration.
The WHS Trainer would also be responsible for increasing participation and building attendance at courses so the role will also have a focus on relationship building, stake holder engagement, planning and strategising.
Most training is delivered out of the Unions Tasmania office in Hobart, however, some travel may be required to conduct a course in Launceston or Devonport. Currently, training requirements total 8 weeks of course delivery per annum with time spent promoting and building courses negotiable. The ability to increase working hours exists dependent upon the success of course promotion.
- Demonstrated commitment to trade unionism and social justice.
- A minimum Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (or equivalent);
- A minimum of two years relevant experience working in an occupational or health and safety role or relevant tertiary qualifications in a field directly related to occupational or work health and safety.
- Broad knowledge of WHS and Workers Compensation legislation.
- Strong verbal communication and presentation skills.
- A current Driver’s License.
- Experience either working for, or being active within, a trade union.
- Experience in building relationships and stakeholder engagement.
To express your interest
Expressions of interest close at 5pm on Friday the 23rd of February. They should include a Curriculum Vitae and cover letter that addresses the essential requirements of the position. Confidential enquiries can be directed to Unions Tasmania Secretary, Jessica Munday via email firstname.lastname@example.org or mobile 0417 454 809.
Unions Tasmania encourages people with a disability, Aboriginal Australians, young people and people from culturally diverse backgrounds to express their interest.Apply online