The Australian Workers’ Union is seeking a National Legal Officer based in our National Office.
The Australian Workers’ Union is the nation’s oldest blue-collar trade union representing thousands of working Australians.
We are a diverse union representing workers in a range of industries across all States and Territories. Getting the best outcome for our members is at the heart of what we do.
The vacancy is for a permanent position, subject to the successful completion of a probationary period, and will be based in the National Office in Granville NSW.
The successful applicant will have a minimum of 2 years’ post-qualification experience as a legal practitioner and will work as part of an in-house legal team under the general supervision of the Senior National Legal Officer. However, the successful applicant will be required to take carriage of their own matters and work autonomously.
The successful applicant will be required to appear before the Fair Work Commission on a regular basis.
This is an excellent opportunity for a self-motivated and skilled industrial lawyer looking to progress their career and take the next step with a leading Trade Union.
To be the successful applicant you must meet the following criteria:
You will have an advantage in applying for this position if you have one or more of the following attributes:
- A law degree and a practising certificate recognised in New South Wales (or eligibility to obtain same).
- Post qualification experience at a union or a law firm of two years at a minimum.
- Sound knowledge of Australian industrial relations and employment law.
- Effective advocacy skills.
- Ability to prepare barrister briefs and to act as an instructing solicitor.
- Ability to work under pressure and with limited supervision against well-resourced opponents.
- Capacity to exercise good judgement, and work independently within a team environment.
- A commitment to unionism and a belief in social justice.
- A willingness to travel inter-State, including to regional or remote locations if required.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Previous experience working for a trade union or labour law firm.
- Prior experience in industrial and employment tribunals and courts.
- Prior involvement in the labour movement or progressive community organisations.
- The ability to conduct high-level legal research.
- Demonstrated capacity to communicate effectively with a wide range of people, including members, delegates, full-time officials, employers, and other stakeholders.
- Examples of briefs, submissions, and/or advice prepared by you.
An annual salary of up to $128,400, depending on experience.
Additional conditions include 11.5% super, a monthly RDO and 25% annual leave loading.
To apply for this position, please send your CV and a cover letter addressing the Position Description, Essential Criteria and Desirable Attributes to AWU Chief Operations Officer Mark Fagan email@example.com
using the subject heading ‘National Legal Officer’. The deadline for applications is Tuesday 27 February.
All applications will be treated confidentially.