Organiser - The Australian Services Union NSW & ACT (Services) Branch
The Australian Services Union NSW & ACT (Services) Branch is a progressive, active and growing union. We are committed to organising members to grow their union and win campaigns that make a real difference for workers and contribute to a fairer society. Examples of this include the landmark ASU Equal Pay campaign that won Equal Pay increases of between 23 and 45% for thousands of community and disability workers across Australia and the We Won’t Wait campaign for 10 days paid domestic violence leave for all workers.
We have a full-time organiser position available in our Community and Disability Services Division where you will be able to work with our dedicated and hard-working members in non-government community services (such as disability services, child youth and family services, community legal services, migrant and refugee support services, local neighbourhood centres and more).
We are looking for applicants who can work full time, be based in either our Redfern office or our Penrith office, but who are also willing to travel across the state working with members and potential members on a regular basis.
- Some experience in working for a union or equivalent organising role in another campaigning organisation.
- Ability to identify issues / disputes that have organising opportunities or the potential for collective action in the workplace to grow union members’ power.
- Understanding of how to build the principles of recruitment into all aspects of your work.
- Ability to identify potential workplace activists and delegates, and support them to grow a strong and democratic union in their workplace.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including social media.
- Ability to think and act independently while also working well within a collegiate team environment.
- Readiness to participate in the union’s political and social justice agenda.
- Current NSW Drivers License.
- Full time, 35 hours per week.
- Redfern or Penrith based (close to public transport).
- $82,715 to $101,904 dependent on skill and experience.
- 10.5% superannuation.
- 17.5% annual leave loading.
- 12 RDOs per year.
- 4 weeks annual leave plus Christmas shutdown.
- 6 months paid parental leave.
How to apply
Please address your application to Natalie Lang, Branch Secretary, Australian Services Union, NSW & ACT Services Branch, PO Box 1865, Strawberry Hills 2012, or email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Organiser" in the subject line by no later than 12.00pm Tuesday, 14 June 2022. Applications must include your current CV and a statement addressing the selection criteria above.Apply online