Industrial Organiser – Relief, Schools
(This position will commence on 28 April 2020 and conclude on 31 December 2022)
The State School Teachers’ Union of W.A. (Inc.) (SSTUWA) represents State School Teachers and TAFE Lecturers across W.A. It is one of the largest trade unions in Western Australia with over 17,000 members, to whom it provides a wide range of both industrial and professional services and representation.
The SSTUWA is the public education union of WA. Organisational fit is crucial. The ability to exercise high levels of tact and discretion in a professionally and personally challenging environment, while simultaneously meeting demanding schedules and workloads, is essential.
The SSTUWA Plan 2020 objectives are:
- Protecting and improving our industrial and professional rights
- Promoting high quality public education for all
- Ensuring the current and long term interests of our members are at the centre of everything we do
Key Functions and Responsibilities
This position will be primarily responsible for the organising and recruitment of teachers and administrators in pre-primary, primary and secondary schools, and other groups covered by the Schools Agreements.
Schools Organisers work with members at district / schools to:
- Organise and implement school / district visits to promote union membership
- Support the establishment of branch structures
- Engage with branch, district, state and national level
- Ensure compliance with Agreements at the workplace
- Build recruitment and retention action and results
- Support union reps to manage union disputes and issues
- Build union pride and activism
(a) Full time (75 hours per fortnight) fixed term contract and will conclude on 31 December 2022
(b) Salary level 3.1 ($117,012.00 per annum) for each year of the contract
(c) Conditions as per the Officers of the State School Teachers’ Union of W.A. (Incorporated) Conditions of Employment Agreement 2018
The successful applicant will demonstrate:
- An active commitment to trade unions and public education
- The capacity to work effectively in a team including taking a leadership role
- The ability to engage effectively in campaign and organising planning, including the implementation and review of plans
- An understanding of the key industrial and professional issues facing public schools at the present time
- Ability to work semi-automatously, demonstrated drive, initiative and resilience in a demanding environment
- A high level of verbal and written communication skills
- A sound level of ICT competence and
- A current valid WA C class driver's licence.
- Understanding of legislation, awards and agreements under which SSTUWA members are employed
- Knowledge of the State and Federal Industrial Relations systems and/or tertiary qualifications in education labour studies or related fields
In making application for the position of Industrial Organiser Relief, Schools please:
- Address the selection criteria
- Keep the application to a maximum of three (3) pages
- Submit a CV/Resume
Applications should be addressed to:
The Chairperson, Appointments Committee, c/o firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information regarding this position, please contact Mary Franklyn, General Secretary, SSTUWA at email@example.com
Leave without pay arrangements may be available to Department of Education employees if successful.
Closing date: 4pm Friday 28 February 2020. Current driver’s licence essential.Apply online