Unions NSW is the peak union body in NSW and represents over 60 affiliated unions with a combined coverage of over 600,000 union members.
Unions NSW is looking for an individual with experience in industrial relations, law or related disciplines to work within our industrial team. Candidates should have between 2 to 5 years experience in providing a union and union members with industrial advice and representation.
The successful candidate will be expected to primarily work as part of the industrial team and individually to provide high quality, professional and timely advice to assist in the achievement of sound industrial outcomes for members. The industrial team also works on projects in conjunction with the campaigns team and participate in broader organisational actions.
Industrial Officer responsibilities at Unions NSW include:
- industry and legal research;
- drafting policy submissions;
- all aspects of industrial case work;
- coordinating multi-union state award bargaining and federal enterprise agreement negotiations;
- as required assist affiliates in their industrial and legal casework;
- managing a broad range of matters including:
- assisting affiliates in disputes before various courts and tribunals including the NSW Industrial Relations Commission and the Fair Work Commission;
- drafting submissions for NSW and Federal Parliamentary inquiries; and
- preparing and delivering training to affiliates on their industrial rights and obligations.
- A sound knowledge of NSW and federal industrial relations legislation.
- Well-developed research, analytical, problem solving skills and a capacity to contribute to strategic planning.
- Ability to prepare and advocate a position formally at a tribunal, court, mediation or meeting.
- Ability to provide strategic advice to solve social / industrial problems, for example dealing with issues such as wage theft or regulating work within the new economy.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to develop relationships with government, academic and community research and interest groups.
- A demonstrated commitment to trade union values.
- University level qualifications in law or industrial relations are highly desirable for this position.
Job Title: Industrial Officer
Reports to: Secretary or designated officer
Direct reports: None
Management responsibilities: None
Pay and Conditions
- Salary: Based on skills and experience.
- Hours of Work: 35 hours per week plus reasonable overtime.
- Personal Leave: 10 days per annum (accumulative)
- Annual Leave: 5 week’s annual leave with 17.5% leave loading
- Long Service Leave: 2 months after 10 years’ service
- Superannuation: 9.5% employer contributions 11.5% for female staff
- Paid Parental Leave: 52 weeks leave including 22 weeks paid parental leave or 3 weeks paid parental leave non-primary carer.
The industrial team also works on projects in conjunction with the campaigns team and participates in broader organisational actions.
How to apply
- Unions NSW encourages applications from people who will enhance our diversity of people, cultural experiences and perspectives.
- To apply for this role please submit a CV (of no more than 3 pages) and a separate Cover Letter addressing the Essential Criteria contained in the job description which can be downloaded below.
- Send copies of your CV and Cover Letter to Ms Mary O’Donoghue via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications close 5:00pm on Friday, 27 October 2017.
- For inquiries contact Unions NSW, Assistant Secretary, Thomas Costa on (02) 9881 5999.